Monday, August 25, 2008

Meet and Greets

As predicted, I am using this as a procrastination venue. Right now, in the midst of complete and utter chaos and clutter - how many Little People can we have before they secede into their own county? They've got an amusement park, stable, castle, train station, bus, fire engine, zoo. They're starting to eye the Weebles with a tad of disdain, but those Weebles, they're fighters. You can't knock them down, plus they can crush the Little People army with a slight breeze in the right direction. And why are the Weebles nowadays animals instead of people? They are mostly cows and hippos, a bit redundant. I'd like to see the gazelle Weeble, the one that says "I am so over grass and having to rely on leg strength, just give me some pie and the superpower of untippableness."

Anyway, what was I saying. Oh yes. Tomorrow, I have two important people coming over. One is a potential new babysitter. Or nanny. I think technically to have nanny, one must have a pool in the back and a front yard that cannot be mowed with a weedwacker. I have tried to prep this earnest young college student, but she's in for a treat. Especially if I don't stop typing and start cleaning my house right now! (or in five minutes, or I'll get up super early, or I'll meet her on the porch and say the baby is sleeping... problem solving skills increase exponentially with children).

Second, my three year old's pre-k teacher is coming by for a meet and greet. I'm sure not to judge, but certainly it can be a way to explain later bad behavior. "Alana buried WHAT in the tactile play area sand?? Oh, I'm so sorry, but you see how we live"...(fade off into sobbing until teacher agrees to give my angel another chance).

So really, should be tidying up abode. Of course, even with spotless house and fresh coffee brewing, things can get awkward. Like Dante decided best thing ever is to spin around until he can hardly stand up, then do it some more. Which was kind of funny to watch until he CRASHED into Little People garage (little cars need little oil changes too, you know). This resulted in a gash across cheek most becoming in cell bock C, not so much in babies learning ABCs. It did however, take slightly away from his scabbed over chin and bruised little shins resulting from his love of playing on the edge of the back stairs. So he's looking good.

My pre-k child, Alana is really good at rhymes, she's got quite a knack. Nose, rose, hose, eye, pie, my, hair, bear, chair. She's working on a series. Guess what completes these sets? _____, magina, _____, wenis. Out of the blue yesterday she just starts singing these away, like its Wheels on the Bus. I wonder what noise they would make on the bus? Probably not "toot toot toot" or "swish swish swish" I hope its not "move on back." Oh yes, I know I am not suppose to react when she says these things, that which you pay attention to grows stronger and all that. But good luck not choking on your coffee and mini-wheats when breakfast with your 3 year old is less Sesame Street and more like your last meeting with your ob-gyn.

So yeah, cleaning thing kind of pales in comparison when you've got one child who looks like he's a member of the miniature mixed martial arts garage circuit (and not all that skilled) and another who's ready to give them an anatomy lesson, Dr. Seuss style. I got a feeling they won't notice if I dusted.